You can create a beautiful altered art mixed media keepsake in just 60 MINUTES! Whether you want to nurture your inner artist or need a quick, cheap, unique gift idea - play along and follow these simple steps. Above all, you will enjoy making your very own original art piece.
Let's get the FUN started!
Prepare all the materials before beginning your project. Here's the list of what you will need (feel free to use substitutes when it comes to paint colors, product brands, or choice of imagery for your design):
- 4"x4" Ampersand Gessobord (sold in a pack of 4)*
- Background paper (acid free)
- An image for your centerpiece (focal point of the composition) — you may want to use an abstract design, an actual photo, or just an image from a clip art at iCLIPART
- 1' of ribbon of your choice
- 3-5 buttons
- An embellishment or a sticker of your choice for a secondary element of design
- 6" of Mouline (color of your choice) at your local fabric/crafts store
- Golden Soft Gel Semi-Gloss*
- Liquitex Matte Medium*
- Golden Gel Topcoat w/UVLS (Semi-Gloss)*
- Liquitex Raw Umber acrylic paint*
- 1 Flat Brush #6
- Glue Gun
- Exacto Knife
* Available from Dick Blick
Once you have all your supplies lined up, you can set the timer for 60 minutes. Ready. Set. Go!
Step 1: Step 1
Paint the sides of the gesso board with Liquitex Basics Acrylic Paints Raw Umber using brush #1 and let it dry for couple of minutes.