I've wanted to try 3D printing for quite some time but I also didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it. So when I found out about Shapeways.com and how I could use the free 3D drawing tool Sketchup to create 3D printed objects at a reasonable price, I was in!
What to Create?
One of my hobbies is Geocaching, so when it came to choosing something to create, I decided a coder/decoder wheel would be neat. This is a little desk toy which makes it easy to work with the ROT13 encryption commonly found on geocaching.com logs (but I really just wanted another cool toy to display on my desk :-) )
This Instructable will:
- Describe 3D Printing, Shapeways.com and Google Sketchup
- Walk you through the steps of creating a 3D CAD style drawing (including installing some required plugins)
- Walk you through the steps of exporting, uploading and ordering your 3D printed design
- Give you some additional background info and references on my experiences with 3D printing.
- I'll also provide you with the google Sketchup design so you can get a headstart and customize it to your liking