Step 8: Upload for Printing
1) Sign up for a Shapeways account. Their site is well presented and easy to use.
2) From their main menu is a Create option. Choose Upload.
3) Click to choose that .STL file we created in Meshlab.
4) Make sure you choose Millimeters as your unit size. Our object is scaled, but the unit is not saved as a part of the STL file format.
5) After you upload the .STL file you'll get a message that the file was received. Shapeways will analyze the mesh and make sure that it is suitable for printing.
5) Think happy thoughts and wait for the message that says your object is available.
6) If there is a problem it is most likely with the scale of the object or a glitch in the way the polygons are organized. Try rescaling your object by loading the mesh back into Meshlab and performing parts 12-22 of the previous step.
7) If it still doesn't work you can try the entire Meshlab process again, or try again from the beginning - maybe with a simpler shape.
8) If you've found something precious and just can't get it to work, let me know. I might be able to convince the shape to behave. :)