My Weiser electronic lock's keypad stopped working about 6 months after I got it. Having no receipt and not being keen on replacing it with another cheap membrane keypad, I figured I'd replace it with something more durable.
Materials needed :
6 momentary switches
1 6 wire cable
1 6 connector header socket
Tools needed :
drill with bits
Step 1: Map out your keypad
You need to figure out what each membrane button on the keypad actually does. I started with the lock button and listed the two wires (out of the six) that each button closed. For me, it was :
Lock : 1 and 4
7/8 : 2 and 5
9/0 : 5 and 4
1/2 : 2 and 1
3/4 : 3 and 2
5/6 : 4 and 3
Unless you have the exact same lock as me, your mileage may vary. Trace them out for yourself to make sure.
Step 2: Pick out your switches
You need as many switches as your keypad had buttons. Choose a momentary, normally off switch. I used 5 white switches (for the numbers) and 1 red switch (for lock)
Step 3: The enclosure
I decided to use a standard project enclosure, this one out of aluminum. Because my front door has a screen door in front, it didn't have to be totally waterproof, but water resistant and weather resistant was definitely an asset.
The principle reason I chose this box was that was big enough for the six momentary switches I bought and that it opened and closed via side screws - as it was to be mounted to the door, I didn't want it to be opened via the back.
Step 4: Mark out the position of the buttons
Put painters tape over the front of the enclosure and mark off a grid for the buttons. I originally intended to have them evenly spaced, but I found the buttons were too big - they couldn't be that close together. I cheated them to the sides and things worked. Lay out your grid and then make sure the buttons will work on it.