Army men can be used for playing pieces. Dice, poker chips, and regular playing cards you can find around the house and small tanks complete the rest of the pieces needed.
The .jpg image for the board and the basic rules are provided here. You can customize both to your preference.
This game will entertain kids and adults, 10 years and older.
This is also available as a completed kit from tindie for $17.00 + shipping:
Step 1: Get a Print Out of the Board, Board Squares, and Game Play.
Some of the board squares are rather self explanatory but for clarification, water squares can only be crossed at a bridge.
Mountains give the occupier 2 additional dice rolls when attacking or defending.
When units hide they are are only visible when have attacked from the current position, or an enemy unit is adjacent to them.
Units normally move 2 squares, unless they start their turn on a road square in which case they can move 5 road squares.
Tanks can fire long range, and normally move 4 squares unless they are start their turn on a road square in which case they can move 6 road squares.
1) Movement phase, all players move all their units
2) Attack phase
Each player rolls one dice for each unit that can diagonally or vertically engage
Each 6 or 1 rolled means an enemy unit is killed.
This phase is repeated 3 times.
A unit can choose to move 1 square in any direction instead of firing.
3) Reinforcement phase
A single dice is rolled for each home base, barracks or armor factory that you control.
A 1 or 6 means that a new unit can start at the home base, barracks or armor factory that you control.
Step 2: Optional Event Cards
Write one of these events on each card
1) Nuclear bomb. Drop this on any board square. 6 dice damage at the point of attack, 3 dice damage on each adjacent square
2) Smoke screen. All units hide after movement. None of your units can be seen or engage enemy units unless they are adjacent.
3) First Strike. When you attack this turn, roll first. Remove any enemy units before they are able to return fire.
4) Scout the enemy. Add 1 additional dice in all your battles this turn.
5) Reinforcement. 1 long range unit is added to your home base
6) Call for Fire. Choose an enemy square, and roll a dice. If a 1 or 6 is rolled the unit occupying the square is destroyed.
7) Carpet bomb. Choose a square group of 4 board squares. Roll 4 dice. 1 unit is destroyed for each 1 or 6 rolled.
Shuffle the deck. When you fight a battle and win the battle (you have at least one unit remaining and the units that returned fire are dead), Select the top card from the deck (only once per turn).