Introduction: Creating a Brochure Using Microsoft Office
The following are written instructions that will highlight important steps.
A video tutorial is also provided below. The video portion is more in depth and can clarify any questions or confusion that may arise.
Step 1: Getting Started
1. Open Microsoft Office Publisher 2007.
2. Under the “Popular Publication Types” page, click on the “Brochures” folder.
3. Under the “Brochures” heading, click on the (1.1) “Blank Sizes” link.
4. Click on the brochure layout you want to use.
NOTE: For these instructions, we’re using the blank (1.2) Letter (Landscape) 11in x 8.5in” layout.
5. Look for the “Business Information ” box on the right of the screen. Click on (1.3) “Create New” in the scroll box.
6. Click on the (2.1) Add Logo” link and choose the picture you want to use for your logo and click the “Insert” box.7. In the (2.2) “Business Information Set Name ” box, enter the name you will save the information under. Click “Save” (the box will close). At the bottom right-hand corner, click on “Create .”
Step 2: Set Up
1. Click on the “arrange ” tab on the toolbar above.
2. On the dropdown menu, select (1) “layout guides” and select the (2) “Margin Guides” tab and choose desired margin spacing.
3. Choose the desired margin spacing under the (3) “grid guides” tab and select the number of columns by clicking on the up arrow.
NOTE: We are using 3 columns and have lowered the margin spacing to 0”.
4. Choose the amount of spacing between columns. And click “OK” when finished.
NOTE: We are using .2” spacing.
Step 3: Background
1. Click on the “format” tab on the toolbar and select “background” in the drop down menu.
2. On the left side of the page, under the “background” task pane, select desired pre-set background.
Step 4: Adding WordArt
1. Click on the "Insert " tab and scroll down to "Picture " and then click on "WordArt ."
2. Choose WordArt style for your brochure and click "OK ."
3. Enter your text in the box and click "OK."
4. Drag WordArt to desired location on brochure.
5. Resize the WordArt by clicking on a corner and dragging.
NOTE: Make sure the WordArt fits within the lines of a column.
Step 5: Adding Text
1. On the toolbar click "Insert" and then click "Text Box."
2. Choose location for textbox and then click and drag to adjust size and location.
3. Select desired font and font size on the drop down menus and enter desired text.
NOTE: You can increase the size of the text box at any time or change the orientation of the box. Insert as many text boxes as needed, but make sure to keep the boxes within the limits of the column.
NOTE: For a shortcut to the text box, look for the text box icon on the left of the screen.
Step 6: Adding Pictures
1. Click on the (1) “insert” tab on the toolbar.
2. Click on “picture” and then “clip art.”
3. Type the name of the images you are looking for in the “search for” box and click "go."
4. Select desired picture and click on it.
5. To add a shadow effect to the picture, click on the shadow icon in the toolbar and select desired shadow effect.
6. To add a border, select desired picture and then click on the "Line/border" icon and select desired border.
NOTE: To resize image, click one corner of the picture and drag in or out to make smaller or bigger.
Confused? Watch the video tutorial for more in depth instructions.
Step 7: Adding Business Information
1. Click on the "Insert " tab and go down to "business information."
2. On the left task pain, click on the arrow and choose "Insert this field."
3. Format information to match other text.
4. Repeat for all business information.
Step 8: Inside the Brochure
1. Click on the “insert” tab on the toolbar and select “page.”
2. In the “insert page” box, add the number of new pages desired and decide placement of new page.
NOTE: To create a full brochure with an outside and inside, add “1” new page and select “after current page.”
NOTE: If you do not create a second page, the entire inside of the brochure will be blank.
3. Repeat steps 3-6 for the new page.
NOTE: To return to your previous page, click on the "1" at the bottom of the page. Click "2" to go back to your new page.
Step 9: Finalization
1. Once the brochure is complete, go to the upper left corner and click “File” and then “Print.”
2. Once printed, fold paper into three parts following the spacing in between the columns.
NOTE: Don’t forget to save your work periodically.