In this instructable I will show you how I created a monument and three smaller sized replica bronze editions using ZBrush and the latest rapidprototyping technology. This was my first experience with this process and perhaps the first time this entire process has ever been used in this way!
You will learn about the lost wax process, ZBrush, CNC machines, scanners, 3d printers, SLA machines, and much more. I hope you enjoy. You can view the project at cougarpride.com
Step 1: Materials and Equipment
Shown here is are the general tools, materials, software and equipment used in the process. This is not a comprehensive list, but some of the most important items are itemized.
These tools were used in creating the monument.
1. Clay - 2AB-225 Plasticine Oil Clay - a very nice blend that does not casue irritation under your fingernails
2. Detail tools - Richeson Double Wire End Tools - This is merely my choice here but any similar tools can be used.
3. Curved Rake - These are to even out large smooth areas.
And of course you thumb and finger for lots of handwork!
Here is the equipment used in creating the replicas, however, Zbrush was used in creating the original sculpture.
1. Zbrush, Modo and Rhino
2. Scanner - Atos
3. 3d Printer - Objet 250
4. Sla Machine - Viper Pro
There was additional harware specific software used as well.
Hard Surface Tools
These materials are used to cleanup the objet and viper models which have build lines and sometimes need minor correction.
1. Filler - Adtech P-14 - a high grade filler. One can use standard body filler as well but this is nice stuff.
2. Surfacer - SEM Flexible Primer Surfacer. This is thinner than the filler and great for filling holes and smaller cracks.
3. Pallete knife - great for small mixes and application of filler and surfacer
4. Die Grider - Harbor frieght cheapy, but works great
5. Ruby and diamond bits - they run very clean and smooth.
6. Abrasive Paper - Mirka Abranet - very nice to use
7. Wax - Ferris Patch-Eze - really, nearly any kind of wax can be used to fill pinholes.
8. Wax tools - helps to press the wax into holes.
9. Mixing Board - Clean Sheets - mulitple paper sheets are great to mix filler on.