This instructable explains how to make your own ferrofluid without using any chemicals.
The magnetic particles will be extracted from an audio cassette and they'll get mixed with vegetable oil (regular cooking oil).
This instructable is relatively short because there isn't much more to explain about it. It's really easy to do, but it takes a few hours to do.
Please pay attention to all notes regarding safety!
Step 1: Requirements
- an audio cassette.
- a sharp knife.
- vegetable cooking oil.
- a small bucket for the ferrofluid.
- a metal plate (see step 3).
- a strong magnet (not required for actually Making the ferrofluid).
- some stick to mix the particles with the oil.
- a lighter or matches.
- a fire extinguisher for if you set your house on fire with the lighter.
- a piece of cardboard with small ridges. (or no ridges at all is even better)