I made this using a really interesting halftoning technique & software from Jason Dorie.
Let's jump right in!
- 24" x 18" x 1/8" acrylic or other CNC-able, clear or translucent material.
- Black paint that will bond with your material
- wood for framing, approx 1/2" thick.
- opaque backing sheet. MDF or similar. Roughly the same size as the front piece
- LED Light strip
- CNC Router
- Table saw
- Router rable
Step 1: Generate your CNC Files
- Open up the 'reactor' program. Import your image into it.
- Let it run.
- Export the file
- Open up the Vectric software and import the image
- trace the image to covert to vectors
- create a pocket toolpath with all the vectors.
- If the tool fits into all the little pockets, YEAH. Usuall it won't be right. If it doesn't fit and create a good carving path, you need to scale down your source image, and go back to step 1.