- Saute Pan
- Grill (optional)
- 4 lbs or Pork Shoulder (trimmed and cubed)
- 2lbs Tomatillos
- 3 Jalapenos
- 5 Poblano peppers
- 4 Cubanelle peppers
- 6 Whole Garlic Cloves
- 1 large Onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups of fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- Oil for searing
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Step 1: Roast Vegetables
Roasting can be done in the oven or over hot coals on a grill.
- Light a full chimney of coals.
- Once the coals have started pour on half the grill to create direct and indirect heat zones.
- Place Tomatillos on the grating directly over the coals.
- Flip when bottoms are charred. Then cook until tops are charred.
- If they appear to be charring too quickly, move to an area of the grill further from the coals.
- When done, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Wrap the 6 Cloves of Garlic in tinfoil and place on the indirect side of the grill.
- Working in batches with the Cubanelles, Poblanos, and Jalapenos, char the peppers directly over the coals. Continue until the skin is blackened.
- Transfer the charred Peppers into a bowl and cover.
- Keep the Garlic Cloves on the grill until softened
- Set oven to broil.
- Place Tomatillos, Jalapenos, and Garlic Cloves in an oven safe dish.
- Roast for approximately 10 minutes until charred, flipping the Tomatillos half way through.
- Repeat the above steps for the Cubanelles and Poblanos.