I've looked all over for a recipe to make it, but could only find bits and pieces. I then took a crack at making my own recipe!
This cake comes pretty close and is nice and sweet. The combination of velvety cream and crunchy yet chewy meringue is quite the treat.
Note: The meringue layers will absorb moisture and become very soft after a few days in the fridge. It is best assembled and enjoyed immediately or within a day.
Step 1: Meringue Layers
1 C sugar
1/4 tbsp vanilla
4 tbsp ground hazelnuts
1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Draw three circles on parchment paper. Pick any size, depending on how big you want your cake. Flip them over after, as the ink will seep into the meringue. Place the paper on baking sheets.
2. Whip the egg whites to thicken. Slowly add the sugar and continue whipping until you get stiff peaks.
3. Add the vanilla and blend some more.
4. Mix together the ground hazelnuts and cornstarch. Fold into the egg white mixture by hand so you don’t press too much air out.
5. Using a spatula, spread 1/3 of the meringue onto each parchment circle.
6. Bake at 300 F for 75 minutes. It will look dry on the outside but will be soft and chewy on the inside. Let them cool!