Introduction: Cube Puzzle
This at home activity will allow your kids to have a great time! It involves some creativity and a bit a craftiness, but the final product will be a puzzle that your child can call their own!
The art: Figure out how your child likes to draw. He or she may like to color using crayons and paper, or like to use technology and get creative using drawing apps.
- Colored pencils/crayons/paint
- Computer or tablet/iPad if technology preferred
- A set of wooden cubes (bought from store)
- Clear tape
- Straight edge/ruler
Note: Adult supervision recommended at all times.
Step 1: Setting Up
However your child likes to create art, have them create 4 drawings, each square in nature (the outside lengths of the drawings should all be the same).
- Line up the blocks to create a perfect square. There should the be same number of cubes on each side.
- Using the ruler, measure the total length of cubes while they are lined up.
- Draw six squares, each on a separate sheet of paper that are the same length as the sides of the lined up cubes.
- Cut out the six squares (WARNING: Sharp edge used, adult supervision recommended).
- Give the squares to your child, and let them get creative!!
Step 2: The Six Works of Art
Now, it is time to get the art ready for the cubes!
Once the art is done:
- Place one cube on any of the corners of the drawing.
- Trace the cube in a light pencil over the drawing.
- Keep moving the cube around until the drawing looks like a faded grid on the background.
- Using the scissors, cut along the lines that were just drawn on (WARNING: Sharp objects used. Adult supervision recommended).
Note: Keep track of pictures you are cutting up. Keep them in order so you know how to put together the pieces.
Step 3: Creating the Puzzle
Time to make the puzzle!!
- Take one piece of each of the cutouts and create as many piles as there are cubes.
- Glue one piece of the cutouts per side of cube. Make sure that each cube has 6 different pieces of the different cutouts.
- Tape down the piece to ensure smooth edges.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the sides of all the cubes have your artwork on them.
Step 4: The Final Product
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.