My mother used to make these for my brother and me when we were kids and had to bring in birthday treats to school. I had extra cake batter left over from making Cake in a Jar (coming soon), and remembered these beauties from my childhood.
They're a might bit of effort, but well worth the final results. Enjoy!
Step 1: Ingredients
- Your favorite cake recipe or mix
- Ice cream cones
- Sprinkles, jimmies, etc. Something for decorating
- Opt. - an empty egg carton to use as a cone holder for baking/decorating/transporting
Step 2: Assemble
- Cut bottoms out of empty paper/cardboard egg carton to hold cones
- Place empty cones into holder
- Fill 2/3 full will batter (slightly more than pictured)
- Bake in the egg carton at 350oF (175oC) for about 30 minutes. It won't burn the paperboard. But make sure to cut off the top half of the egg carton or the inks might start to smoke.
- Test doneness with a long wooden skewer. Even when baked on top, they might be a bit undercooked in the bottom of the cone. I personally don't mind this, but most people do.
Step 3: Decorate
- Frost the cupcake cones with your favorite frosting
Step 4: Share
(I recommend finding the handsomest test subject you can to try this on.)
They'll want to know how you got a cupcake inside the cone. They'll hardly believe you when you tell them how easy it truly is.
Gloat and enjoy.