So at this point, I realized that the polar fleece I had bought to back the quilt was going to make it way too heavy. So I went to the fabric store (again) to buy some plain black fabric, but the only plain black fabric I could find was going to cost almost $70.00. So, I went next door, to a bedding place and bought a plain black flat queen sized sheet for $13.99. But, of course, the black sheet I bought was a little too short, so I added a strip of polar fleece to the top. I figured since I was adding this piece, I might as well add a little detail. On a rectangle of the black polar fleece, I sewed a message to my daughter, so when she turns over the quilt before she gets into bed every night, she will see it.
Then I laid out the black fabric on the floor, right side up, and laid the quilt on top of that, right side down. This is important! Make sure the right sides are together at this stage, it is a lot of sewing to rip out if you make a mistake here! I sewed all the way around the perimeter, leaving a couple feet open on the side seam so I could turn it inside out.
I clipped the corners so the corners would turn out neater, then I turned the quilt right side out and hand stitched the opening closed. I also decided to put a quick line of hand stitching on the black lines of the quilt to hold the back and front together…
Tada! Finally done!