Introduction: Curiosity Cabinet Makeover
Turn a rickety old cabinet into a beautiful curiosity cabinet with paint and book pages
Step 1: Check Out the Video Here!
Step 2: Stuff You'll Need
Old cabinet or shelf
Metallic paint marker
Ornate plastic mirrors (got mine at the 99c store)
Sander, Jigsaw & Dremel
12" x 24" 1/4" thick plywood and 1" screws
Americana Matte Decoupage
Americana Decor Maxx Gloss in Patent Leather
Americana Glazing Medium and Americana Acrylic color you like
DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Gold Rush
Step 3: Here's How Part 1
1. 2. & 3. With your jigsaw, cut out the front panels and carefully remove old handles and glass
4. Sand the entire piece to remove cracked paint and warping
5. 6. & 7. Create a pediment pattern for the top, cut in 1/4" plywood, sand and attach to the top with 1" long wood screws
8. & 9. Remove the mirror from the plastic frames, cut into 4 equal pieces and clean rough edges with a craft knife
10. Glue them in the corners with E-6000 Glue and tape them in place while they dry
11. & 12. Mix the Maxx Gloss and paint the entire face and sides of the cabinet (not the inside)
Step 4: Here's How Part 2
13. 14. 15. & 16. Coat the inside with Americana Decoupage, mist the book pages with water and apply to the cabinet walls and sides.
17. 18. & 19. Using a soft cloth, add the Metallic Luster to the ornate corners and new drawer handles
20. & 21. Edge the cabinet, drawers and details with a metallic gold paint marker
22. Add the new drawer handles
23. & 24. Mix the Americana Glazing Medium with equal amounts of water and about 15% acrylic paint and then glaze over the decoupaged book pages. Fill with curiosities!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.