- 2 x Cree XR-R Star LED (LEDSupply.com 2 x $8.49)
- 1 x 3023-D-100 Wired BuckPuck, 1000mA Output (LEDSupply.com $19.99)
- 1 Altoid Tin
- 1Minoura Mounting Bracket (for water bottle cages) (Nashbar.com $3.50)
- 1 Plastic 4 x AA battery holder (Radio Shack $1.50)
- 4 x AA rechargeable NiMH Batteries (multiple sources ~$7)
- Cree L2 6 degree optical lens (LEDSupply.com 2 x $2.00)
(others - solder, solder iron, 5/64 drill bit, drill, artic silver epoxy (preferred), LEDSupply.com )
Step 1: Drill 4 Holes in Your Altoid Tin
Drill 1 hole on each side, 1 for the wires to the LEDs and one hole to mount the dimmer switch which will control the LEDs.
Step 2: Assemble the Internal Components
Insert a 4 x AA battery holder.
Insert the Buckpuck dimmer switch and bolt in place.
(The BuckPuck is the postage stamp size block in the picture. It accepts power from 5 to 32 volts and outputs the constant current high power LEDs like. The dimmer is a potentiometer switch which controls the brightness of the LEDs and comes prewired with the 3023-D-E 1000P Wired BuckPuck.)
Step 3: Parallel Vs Series Connection of the Star LEDs
Step 4: Solder the BuckPuck and LEDs in Parallel
Step 5: Epoxy LEDs to Altoid Tin
Apply epoxy to the back of the soldered LEDs and hold in place until solid. Arctic silver thermal epoxy is probably best as the Altoid box will act as a heat sink, but I have also used standard household repair epoxy and not experienced overheating with the Cree LEDs.
Step 6: Epoxy Optical Lens, Insert Batteries and Power-on
Insert 4 rechargeable NiMH AA batteries.
Turn the Dimmer Switch to on and mount on bike. Enjoy the night.