I'm sure I'm not the only one with ear canals that are just too small for in-ear earbuds (no matter how many "custom" inserts they come with). I once tried to make a pair of "innies" stay in my ears by forcing them (not recommended).
- It's pretty darn painful
- I blink and they pop out.
- It's not practical.
- Did I mention painful?
Needless to say they just don't work for me. Earbuds on the other hand worked for me as long as I was doing a low-key activity. Imagine my plight when the "innies" started getting more and more popular and good quality "buds" where getting more and more sparse. :'( boo hoo However, more vigorous activities proved too much for my beloved "buds".
BUT! What can't be fixed or improved without a little brainstorming? :D
Gather around my little eared friends and make some custom fit earbuds on the cheap with me!
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
You will need:
- Earbuds (Gumy by JVC are my go-to choice)
- Sugru x1 (I don't need to tell you to pick a color that you likey)
Step 2: Prepare Yourself
Just make sure your hands are clean and that your work space is as well. Depending on the color of Sugru you chose this is crucial to keeping that color from getting dirty or having undesired specks of your last project to follow you for the life of your earbuds. I chose black so I made sure my work space was spotless. Now, you say your hands are clean and I believe you but again....you can even get dead skin trapped in the Sugru and depending on the color it will be visible . (ew) So scrub your palms and digits a little. While you're at it wipe your ears out really well with a washcloth....there's a lot of dead skin in there, too. Ask me how I know. Go ahead...just ask.
Step 3: Prepare the Sugru
1. Remove the Sugru from (1) wee package
2. Roll it all into a little ball
3. Make a snake out of it
4. CUT THE SNAKE IN HALF!!! ( *maniacal laughter*)
Step 4: Now Introduce the Sugru to the Earbud
1. Take 1/2 of the Sugru and make another little snake.
2. Wrap the snake around the earbud pressing a little make it adhere to the bud.
Step 5: Now Customize!
Step 6: Hang Them Up to Set
Step 7: *Minor Modifications and Tips
Some ideas to make your earbuds even better:
• use different colors for each bud to help you differentiate between Right and Left
• Combine this Instructable with one of these!