I added another bench to my garage and needed more task lighting, so I put halogen puck lights on easy-to-make mounting pads and installed them under a recycled wire shelf above the workbench.

Step 1: Make mounts for the pucks.

I used some scrap particle board as mounts for the puck lights. I stacked the mounts together and drilled corner holes, then screwed each puck to a mount.

Step 2: I used zip ties to mount each puck to the wire shelf I've recycled - anything wire-ish would work though.

I wanted at least a little uniformity for these lights, so I spaced them evenly and used zip ties to secure them under my wire shelf. Could have used any kind of wire for this, though. I left the zip ties loose until I'd test fitted each light's placement and function... I'm notorious in my own mind for hosing up final fittings so I wanted some room for corrections.

Step 3: Terminate the power cords - I did this twice for convenience!

These halogen pucks (mine are by Hampton Lighting, roughly US $20 at Home Depot for a pack of three, US $9 as singles) come with unfinished power cords. You can choose the cord length you like and terminate them yourself. I first fitted plugs at the very end of each supplied length of cord, then tested for function, ran cords where I wanted them and finally snipped & re-terminated each cord to the desired length.

Step 4: Routing and trimming/neatening the power cords -

I planned to put up a pegboard under this shelf so I wanted all my power cords neatly tucked up. I wanted to go relatively cheap on this project, so I conserved zip ties and used the twist ties that were holding my power cord bundles together as cable management.

Step 5: and done - switch installed, all tested, cords trimmed, neatly managed and working.

Here's shots of the switch instructions, wiring it into place, and a final shot of everything trimmed to length and re-terminated, with cords managed and lights on.

Nice to have the task lighting for this new-to-me workbench!
The use of zip ties is inspired! THANKS for this project.

About This Instructable




More by kerns:Auto sound deadening - part II - more matting and using expanding foam Auto sound deadening  - part I - remove trim, install some matting. Repair / join strapping with zipties 
Add instructable to: