Step 1: Sugar Cookie Base
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cream cheese
1 tb flavored extract (vanilla, cherry, almond, lemon) etc.
8 cups flour
1 tb baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp salt
1. Cream the butter, sugar, and cream cheese together in a large bowl. Add in the sour cream, eggs, and extract. Mix well.
2. Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder into the butter mixture.
3. Form the dough in a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.
Step 2: Cutting out and Baking
2. Roll the dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness.
3. Cut out the cookie using shaped cutters. If you have a cookie shape you want, but don't have the cutter for it, you can make a template out of poster board or card stock. I wanted to make larger cookie houses, so I sketched out a basic shape with pencil and cut out the shape with scissors. I placed the template on top of the rolled dough and carefully cut around the template with a knife. Use a thin spatula to safely transfer the dough shapes to a greased cookie sheet.
4. Bake the cookies on the middle rack at 350 F for 10-12 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
Step 3: Frosting Base
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavor)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 pinch of table salt
4-6 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla and then the powdered sugar.
2. Thin the frosting with cream to your desired consistency.