Introduction: Cutting Board/trencher
for my father's birthday i thought of a special gift.
I know he bakes and enjoys his own bread, why not cut in on his own trencher/cutting board with a saying of his own.
Step 1: Materials & Tools Needed
- Wood. I've used a well known piece of wood : scaffolding boards. They sell it complete in our hardware store in pieces of 250cm. At the store i also cut them in the desired lenghts i wanted. It eventually gave me 8 pieces
- Soldering iron: the words are burned into the wood using a soldering iron
- Words on paper: to get a nice result, print the desired words out on paper and burn trough the paper intonthe wood with the soldering iron
- Handle: i did cut the boards to short, was planning on sawing a handle out by hand. But they turned out a little bit to short so i decided to use a stirdy handle instead. Held in place by 4 small woodscrews
- Cordles drill: of course you can use the cordless drill to screw in the scerws :)
- Linseed Oil. Used to make a finish over te wood, so no water or moisture can get into the wood.
Step 2: Print Template
No pictures needed: Print out a template with the text you want on your Trencher.
The text i used was a saying my dad always say's to us when we were young.
I also translated it to our local dialect just to make it that extra special.
Print it out on plain A$ Paper and use some masking tape or a spray glue
Step 3: Burn in Your Text
When you have the paper on your board, use the soldering iron to poke through the paper, leaving a burn mark on the wood. It takes some practice at first, and also a lot of time, but the result is beautiful!
Step 4: Attach Your Optional Handle
At this point, use a cordless drill to attach the handle on one end of the board.
Apply a layer of the lineseed oil, and you're done!
Enjoy your very own cuttingboard/trencher
You can use it to cut bread or use it in a decorative way.
If you have any tips on how to make it even better, feel free to comment!