I am going to attempt to show you how I made my Daft Punk Helmet and suit from the film Tron.
We go to a festival each year that is mainly fancy dress and this year we had an epic task of making these suits. My helmet was fashioned from a Boba Fett Helmet from start wars and 8 months and about £250 quids worth of modelling gear.
The main materials used for this were:
- Black sticky back vinyl
- 2 x light strips for eyes
- 4mm plasti card for face sculpting and ear pieces and head band across the top
- Asetate sheet for eye visor
- blue cable for rear of head
- lots of araldite
- Silcion, silver
- sand paper for sanding edges down, wet n dry
- sticky back mirror sheet - vinyl
- Modelling foam for ear pieces (first attempt)
- LED's for ear pieces, single hi power blue 3V
- Filler spray (melted the foam, spray lightly and build up)
- Black and Silver spray paint
Step 1: The original Helmet
I cut away a lot of the front and replaced it with plasticard and aluminium sheet.
Step 2: Installing Eye LED strips and Chrome on top of helmet
I then started to add some chrome sheeting to the top of the helmet to change its colour and texture. I tried to put it straight on to the helmet and it didn't work too well, i had to cut them into triangles and lay them over one another to make them fit better and not overlap so much.
As you can see from creases in this photo, i didn't get it right first time...
Step 3: Cutting off Boba Fetts face...
The face piece was then replaced with once sheet of 2mm plasticard and then the aluminium on top of that.
Step 4: Faulty products!!!
Step 5: Wires on the back of head
I stuck them down with a little clear silicon, which i put under the plastic at each end of the wire and i also smeared some across the helmet under the wires.
The white strip across the top and around the sides is raised slightly with plastic spacers to enable me to get the wires underneath the edges. All the spaces are held with areledite.
Step 6: Robot Ears
Once the plastic ear pieces were put together i covered them with the chrome sheeting and siliconed them to the head, the were a pretty good fit, but i had a little trouble getting them on straight.
The waveform on the black disc was made from 2mm plasticard. I masked the shape on and then sprayed it black and then lacquered it.
Step 7: Face piece
I worked very well and hid a lot of mess around the eye cut out. it also dimmed the lights down just enough as they were super bright without it.
Step 9: Tidying up
I covered some plasticard in chrome sheet and then cut the pieces out.
They are attached to the glove using areledite, i tried silicon but them just peeled of as they were too smoother surface.
The lights were run using a 12v 8x AA battery holder with a jack plug connector going to the helmet and the suit. The Discs on the back of the suit also ran from the same power supply.
The Helmets were wired with a separate on/off switch to enable us to leave the suits on and reduce glare from the inside of the visor. it was pretty hard to see walking around a festival at night with the helmet lights on.