I am going to attempt to show you how I made my Daft Punk Helmet and suit from the film Tron.
We go to a festival each year that is mainly fancy dress and this year we had an epic task of making these suits. My helmet was fashioned from a Boba Fett Helmet from start wars and 8 months and about £250 quids worth of modelling gear.
The main materials used for this were:
- Black sticky back vinyl
- 2 x light strips for eyes
- 4mm plasti card for face sculpting and ear pieces and head band across the top
- Asetate sheet for eye visor
- blue cable for rear of head
- lots of araldite
- Silcion, silver
- sand paper for sanding edges down, wet n dry
- sticky back mirror sheet - vinyl
- Modelling foam for ear pieces (first attempt)
- LED's for ear pieces, single hi power blue 3V
- Filler spray (melted the foam, spray lightly and build up)
- Black and Silver spray paint
Step 1: The original Helmet
I cut away a lot of the front and replaced it with plasticard and aluminium sheet.
Step 2: Installing Eye LED strips and Chrome on top of helmet
I then started to add some chrome sheeting to the top of the helmet to change its colour and texture. I tried to put it straight on to the helmet and it didn't work too well, i had to cut them into triangles and lay them over one another to make them fit better and not overlap so much.
As you can see from creases in this photo, i didn't get it right first time...
Step 3: Cutting off Boba Fetts face...
The face piece was then replaced with once sheet of 2mm plasticard and then the aluminium on top of that.