Introduction: DIY: EXTREME Power Saving Wireless Mouse Mod
So like the 'auto off' or 'off while idle' feature that some mice provide, I thought of making it only powered when I'm actually using it, but to improve on the concept, instead of it waiting a predetermined amount of time while not being 'moved' to shut off, and once 'moved turning on again (like I said, with me, it'sa always getting sat on, pushed aside, sliding in towards me on the cushion when I sit, etc..)
These Pictures show the VERY SIMPLE process of my successful mod that makes it so ONLY when you have ur hand placed on the mouse like when ur using it (NOT WHEN ITS JUST MOVED)
Step 1: Aquire the Essentials for the Mod
I salvaged as many different micro contact switches from various electronics I have strewn about my room. I decided to go with the switch that is the closest one to the bottom of the picture of switches. I then placed my hand on the mouse and held it in just about every workable position I would ever hold it in, and found the best spot possible to mount the switch where it would always get pushed down when I am using the mouse.
Step 2: Open Up the Specimen
Only two screws held the casing together and neither were under any sticker or other adhesive cover. 4 more screws were removed to separate the inside boards so I could get to the pcb mounted negative battery spring connector and remove it. Then I soldered two thin wire leads onto the switch's solder points, and soldered the end of one of those wires to a new negative battery terminal tab from a salvaged AAA battery box.
Step 3: Re-connecting The.........uh........dots...
I put the new negative battery tab/spring in it's slot where the other one would've been. Then I took the remaining free wire tip coming from the switch, and soldered it to the board where I had de-soldered the original spring connection (ground/ neg-) After that, the new connections being done with, I put a little bit of hot-glue on all of the solder points I had just made except for the one on the board (switch connections & new battery tab connection) just enough to be certain that no unwanted contact was made by any of the electrical components when I sealed it back up. Last, I took a dremel to the spot I decided the switch would reside (carefully as to not make too big of a hole for it, I wanted a very snug fit) & after installing the switch with it's push/pin now protruding out of the upper casing of the mouse, I secured that in place with hot-glue as well..
Step 4: Reassemble & Relax
Ok, put 'er back together making sure the wires are tucked neatly away, install the freshly charged batteries, & THERE YA GO!!! IT WORKS UNBELIEVABLY WELL!!! I thought the push/pin would be a tad discomforting even though it has little to no resistance to getting pushed, but actually it was soo undetectable I felt I needed to feel SOMETHING (plus I felt that the pin being so small, had the possibility to not be 100% fool proof if I was ever in a hurry and it fell between a crease in my palm or whatever ;) ) So just for a fool-prrof finish, I found the best thing I could (small, thin, lightweight, flexible foamy type bit of material) for the time being, and temporarily secured it with a touch of hot-glue on the pin and put the cut foam piece right over that. When viewed from top it is undetectable, but I took some crappy close up shots of it from an angle. I have also included a quick poorly lit video of the mod shown working VERY well!! Hope this may help others to conserve their battery cells, I can't think of any wireless mice that this wouldn't easily work for, except the ones with different battery packs. (just to point out, the black foamy piece is of my temporary preference, and the mod DID work just fine without it, it looks kind of ugly I know, but it's kew for now :))
- (v)A'|'|' -
Step 5: UPDATE!
Like I said, I was having to recharge the batteries in this thing everyday!
Now I am very happy to report:
MY LAST CHARGE (current one in the mouse) HAS LASTED OVER 3 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!
(I probably just jinxed it though !.O!.)
ALSO: Here's another quick update for those interested (see pic below). I immediately took the foam piece off after I posted this (....okay, it fell off, but that's beside the point!)
and had also had this idea until something better comes to mind. I simply used some of the clear plastic packaging bubble as sort of a pressure pad (it works great, but I'm not set on this one either, because it allows the switch to be pressed if the mouse is upside down and such)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.