I'm in the process of making a Word Clock, and one of the things that I wanted to build for this project was a fairly simple 8 x 8 LED matrix.
This instructable deals with how to build an 8 x 8 LED matrix and controller that can be interfaced with an Arduino microprocessor.
- 64 LED (I'm using 5 mm White LED with a forward voltage of 3.5 V and a load of 20 mA);
- 1 10 uF electrolytic capacitor;
- 1 x 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor;
- 1 x 10 k ohm resistor;
- 1 x MAX7219CNG Serially Interfaced, 8-Digit LED Display Driver;
- lots of wire
- plywood and 10 mm pine for case and matrix body
- 800 GSM card for cells
- 1 Arduino Uno
One of the things that I found a little frustrating was that I couldn't find an example of what I was trying to do on the Interweb. Oh, sure ... there were plenty of examples of how to make a controller for your prepackaged Dot Matrix Display, etc., but nothing that showed me the whole enchilada.