However, finding a lack of resources on making trees. I experimented around and then found a decently easy way to make an artificial christmas tree for under $10.
Step 1: Supplies
1) 1 60 ft bundle of tinsel -$4.47 (you can choose a color to your own liking)
2) 2 packs of floral wire stems (Fibre Craft's "Bright Stem Wire") - $.67 each
3) 1 spool of floral wire (Fibre Craft's "Bright Wire") - $.97
4) 1 wooden dowel, thin pvc pipe, or piece of bamboo (I prefer the bamboo because its irregular shape allows for the wire to wrap more firmly)
5) Some sort of stand/base to support the tree. I ended up using a glass vase filled with silica sand that i had lying around, but you could use many things - milk jugs, large bottles, buckets, flower pots, baskets filled with rocks, sand, gravel, plaster bases etc.
Note, all of these things can be easily found at any craft store. I bought most stuff at Wal-Mart, but I think you'd be able to get these at some place like Michael's or maybe even Target.