Introduction: DIY Balloon Powered Car
In this instructable, we will learn how to make a Balloon Powered Car at home. It is a simple DIY car that works on the principle of Newtons' third law of motion that states that for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. When the air from the Balloon flows out, it exerts force due to the air flowing out through the straw, thus because of which the car moves forward.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video provides a good clarity and insight to the procedure. Make sure to watch the video and then also proceed to next steps for additional information and pictures.
Step 2: Materials Required
- Rubber band
- Hot Glue Gun
- Skewer Sticks
Step 3: Procedure - Make the Wheels
1. Draw few circles of about 3cm (diameter) on a piece of cardboard.
2. Cut all the circles and using hot glue paste the circles one over the other to form four equal stacks.
3. Apply hot glue around the edges to form rubber like grip for the wheels.
Note: Watch the video to get the visual clarity about the procedure.
4. Make holes at the centre of the wheels and insert the skewer sticks through the centre.
5. Cut a piece of straw about the length of 14cm.
6. Insert the skewer stick through the straw and then also attach a wheel to the other end of the skewer to form an axle. Make two such pieces.
Step 4: Procedure - Car Base
1. Cut a piece of cardboard of about 30 cm x 15 cm.
2. Make the markings on the cardboard as shown in the images above.
3. Now, using hot glue paste both the wheel axles at the bottom of the car base as shown.
4. Attach a balloon at one end of a straw using a rubber band.
5. Using hot glue, paste the straw (with balloon attached) at the centre of the back edge on the car base as shown in the above images.
6. Our Balloon Powered car is now ready.
Step 5: Test the Balloon Car
Inflate the balloon and then place the car on the floor. The air flow through the nozzle will provide thrust for the car to move.
So friends, this here concludes this instructable, make one yourself for kids at home & see them have fun with this wonderful car. Stay tuned and don't forget to Follow me on instructables to receive regular updates.