Under my deck, I have had a problem with Robins (and perhaps other birds) building nests in the rafters.  Personally, I don't mind it were it not for them getting very "protective" and accordingly getting very "swoopy."  So, I decided to install bird spikes.  It's an easy deterrent against birds as it simply makes the area in question undesirable.  From what I found, it's about $30 for 10 lin. feet.  Considering I needed around 30 feet of spikes, this is very pricey.  

This Instructable is to show how to create a set of bird spikes.  Note, if only a few spikes are needed, this might not be the best method. Nails through a strip of wood seems to be another common method and it does not require the purchase of a lot of fencing material.

Step 1: Gather materials

Gather the following materials:
Galvanized 2"x3" 16-gauge fencing material (I used vinyl coated galv.)
Roofing nails (galvanized, 1-1/4" should be fine)
Fence clipper or wire cutter
Needle-nose pliers (angled work best)
Work gloves (not necessary, but handy)

It's critical that the fencing material is made of a material that won't rust.  Even if it's coated, the material should be galvanized steel or stainless-steel as cutting the material will break the coating.  Also, it should be a minimum 16-gauge wire.
NIce instructable. I have the exact same problem with birds under a deck off my bedroom. <br> <br>A suggestion: How about using galvinized staples or u-nails nailed across the intersecting wires instead of roofing nails. That way you don't have to mess with bending loops in the wire. <br> <br>I'm going to give a try. Thanks for the instructable.
Thanks! Staples as you describe would probably work. My one concern is the loops ensure the spikes won't pivot along it's length. If the staples are nailed down tight, I don't think you'll have a problem. <br> <br>Good luck!
Good idea, thanks for sharing!<br><br>Some years ago I allowed a dove nesting in the laundry room of my house, and because of that my apartment was filled with thrips (piojillos in Spanish). It was very unpleasant and dangerous, and required spray the entire apartment with K-Othrine to kill the thrips .
Thanks! I have never heard of thrips before, but they look very troublesome indeed. Glad the problem's resolved; thanks for the comment!

About This Instructable


18 favorites


More by orangefob7: DIY Bird Spikes Replacing Volvo Headlight Wipers Using Salvaged Blades
Add instructable to: