I have always dreamed of having a CNC and window shopped all the time on the internet. Finally, I discovered Instructables and made my own to share with others. Ninety percent of my parts were acquired from junk or unused stuff. It doesn't look pretty but it works. The first CNC was posted on "I Made It" photo contest. I took that apart to improve on my first design and I hope it helps other people. This particular CNC I believe is the easiest and cheapest way people can do it themselves.
Domo*pes (Arduino Powered Stepper Motor Board.) Preliminary test Before pcb board house.
Domo*pes (Arduino Powered Stepper Motor Board)
Video of CNC cutting wood and birds-eye view of pen plotter
- Laminated Particle Board or whatever smooth flat surface wood is easy for you to work with. I used an old bathroom cabinet.; @ hardware store
- two feet of 1/2 inch PVC Pipe; $ @2 hardware store
- four 1/2 inch PVC elbows; $4 @ hardware store
- one foot of 1/4 inch PVC Pipe; $1 @ hardware store
- six inches of 1/4 inch Copper Pipe; $ @ hardware store
- two 1/4 inch x 20 threaded rod and three nuts to match; $10 @ hardware store
- Copper Pipe Hangers; $2 @ hardware store
- Gas Line Hose that snugly fits the threaded rod; $3/ft. @ auto parts store
- handful of screws and nuts & bolts
- 4 data staples: $1 @ hardware store
- glue: Gorilla Glue, Super Glue
- Craft Foam; $.50 @ Hobby Lobby
- Saw to cut wood
- Pipe Cutter
- Tape Measure & Ruler
- Pencil & Sharpie
- Drill & Bits
Step 1: X Axis
You will need to cut out these pieces
two 8 1/4 x 2 1/2"
one 10 x 2 1/2"
one 8 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2"
Construct like the picture above, making sure it's perfectly square.