This tutorial will explain how to fabricate calligraphy pen nibs from brass stock and simple tools. Total material cost for one nib is less than $1. The most expensive part are probably the tools needed, but who doesn't love tools?
- Flat Brass stock 1/2" to 1" wide x 0.025" and 0.0125" thick
- Brass stock can be found at most hobby supply stores for low cost. It can also be ordered online for significantly more money.
- Round Brass Tubing 1/4" diameter, wall thickness 0.014"
- Anything thicker will have trouble fitting in most calligraphy pen nib holders. Any thinner will probably be too weak.
- Sandpaper 600, 350, 150 grit
- Solder 50/50 tin/lead
- Flux for soldering
- Jeweler Saw blades 4-O and 4 gauge
- Jeweler's Saw
- Bench vise w/ rubber pads
- Keyhole files (optional, but helpful)
- Soldering Iron (50-75w)
- Third-hand Tool