Instructables
loading
loading

DIY Camera Crane - The Wooster Sherlock 2.0 with Manual Tilt

FeaturedContest Winner
Picture of DIY Camera Crane - The Wooster Sherlock 2.0 with Manual Tilt
The second Wooster Sherlock camera crane was built on the cheap for sure. Using only one pole cuts down the cost. Instead of having one crane that does it all, I decided to build this model specifically for manual tilt shots. The other great feature of this version is the ability to set up the camera for extreme high angle shots. Although, there is no monitor on this version yet.....I'm still searching for a cheaper alternative to the monitor featured on the Wooster Sherlock 1.0 manual pan model.
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Materials

Picture of Materials
DSC01778.JPG
DSC01798.JPG
DSC01860.JPG
DSC01875.JPG
DSC01872.JPG
DSC01874.JPG
DSC01873.JPG
yellow_gear.jpg
red_gear.jpg
large_chain.jpg
Materials I Had
  1. An old broken tripod
  2. flash mount (found on an old tripod)
  3. Various nuts, bolts and washers (from the miscellaneous bin)
  4. Tripod handle (removed from a broken tripod)
  5. Various bearings ( removed from scooter wheels and rollerblades)
  6. Barbell handle and weights
  7. double-sided mounting tape ( to attach barbell to paint pole)
  8. Plastic block
  9. K'nex gears and chain (left over from project coaster)
Materials I Bought
  1. Wooster Sherlock Paint Pole (4'-8' pole purchased at Lowes for $30)

Step 2: Tripod Pole Mount

Picture of Tripod Pole Mount
DSC01861.JPG
DSC01862.JPG
DSC01863.JPG
DSC01864.JPG
DSC01867.JPG
DSC01865.JPG
DSC01868.JPG
The first thing I tackled with this build was finding a way to easily mount the pole to the tripod. Since the head of the tripod already had tilt capability, I decided to use this plastic block to mount the pole directly to the quick-release plate.
  1. I first marked the position of the hole I wanted to drill, making sure to leave enough material around the edge for strength.
  2. Luckily the pole has an exact diameter of 1-1/4" which matches my 1-1/4" forstner bit perfectly. I drilled the block all the way through and ended up with a very nice fit.
  3. I think drilled from the top of the block with a 1/4" drill bit so that I could put a bolt through the bottom of the quick-release plate, through the block, through the pole and out the top of the block.
  4. I capped it all with a washer and a lock nut.
peggy007 months ago

How did you put the weight on the bottom of the pole?

redmonkey1 year ago
Source for the plastic block?
Mr. Noack (author)  redmonkey1 year ago
That's a great question. This is something I had around the shop. It's some type of phenolic plastic. You could possibly get a small scrap from a plastic supplier or just simply use a block of wood.
dagelias2 years ago
cool man! always wanted one of these, so maybe I'll be building one soon :) thanks !
Mr. Noack (author)  dagelias2 years ago
Good luck! Please share when you're done.
pjkumpon2 years ago
amazing idea! love it
Mr. Noack (author)  pjkumpon2 years ago
Thanks!!
mikeasaurus2 years ago
I really like this. Great work, thanks for sharing!
Mr. Noack (author)  mikeasaurus2 years ago
Thanks! Stay tuned.....there may be a Wooster Sherlock 3.0 in the works.
I love making new iterations of projects, it's so satisfying to see the design refined progressively