I hope you find this useful and as always feel free to ask any question and please vote and rate as you see fit, thank you!!
1 1/2" x 1/4" aluminum bar stock
3/8" aluminum tubing (I got this from a broken DVD rack, one side is already drilled and tapped with its own screw included)
3/8" rubber nipple
tap and die set
Step 1: Sizing and Cutting
- Grab your aluminum bar stock ( you could use steel as well) and cut off a 2" to 3" section.
- With a sharpie and square mark your center. Also mark the center at the top of the bar stock.
- Using a center punch make a pilot hole.
Step 2: Drilling Your Holes
- Drill your first 3/8" hole in the bar stock where you marked. a clamp might be needed.
- On the top of the bar stock drill your 7/32" hole for the set screw. make sure it is centered.
- 7/64" drill bit is used for the 3/8" aluminum tube. you want to set the hole about 1/4" from the edge. Depending on the scribe you find this hole might need to be a different size.
Step 3: Tapping the Top
- Get cutting lube and the tap.
- Tap it! be sure to back out every half turn or so and do no apply too much pressure!
Step 4: Sand and Polish
- Square your edges using a belt sander
- sand and polish the front of your bar stock.
Step 5: Putting It All Together
- Grab that bar stock and insert the aluminum tube through the hole.
- Add the set screw.
- Insert the carbide tip and set screw.
- Put the rubber nipple in the back of the tubing.
If you have and questions or comments please leave them at the bottom.
Thanks for looking.