Introduction: DIY Cookie Cutter for an Instructables Robot
Runner Up in the
Instructables Robot Contest
This instructables is based on how to create a cookie cutter for a customized design. This is the first time I am posting something in the craft column. While baking cookies I always wanted few shapes which are sometimes difficult to find in the shops. It was always in my mind of how to create a customized cutter at home. The contest came by and so I thought why not first try with the cute Instructables Robot. So this Instructables Robot Cookie cutter is a dedication to this site where I get to learn a lot of new stuffs and share my Ideas too. Me and my Nephew, we had a great time together building this up and modelling.
The material used here for the cutter is PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) Plastic. PET is safe and recyclable packaging material. PET is the most favorable alternative when compared to aluminum cans and glass bottles.
After creating the cookie cutter, I have used it to cut a model of the instructables robot out of the Home made Play Dough. The Play dough is given the color shades of the robot by natural color Dyeing method. The entire model of the Instructable robot is ECO Friendly. Hope you like it.
Step 1: Materials Needed
- Marker/ Whitener
- FeviKwik (Instant Epoxy Adhesive) (or) Any strong adhesive / Stapler
Instructables Robot Model:
- Homemade Play Dough
I prepare the homemade play dough from one of the Instructables. It is so easy and I always use that method to make Play dough for my nephew.
The link to the Instructables to make home made play dough is given below:
- Cocoa Powder
Step 2: Slit the Bottle
- Take the PET bottle which has a smooth body. Avoid rough body as it won’t suit our purpose.
- Make a slit with a knife. Keep making the slit bigger in the horizontal direction of the bottle till the bottle is made into two pieces at that mark.
Step 3: Get the Rectangular Piece
- With the help of scissors then cut along the body in the vertical direction of the bottle.
- At the end of the slit cut again in the horizontal direction of the bottle.
- Now we get a piece of the plastic material.
- To make it flat, roll the material in the opposite side and keep it in that direction for sometime.
Step 4: Trim the Edges
- Trim edges to get the Material of desired height.
- With the help of a correction Pen or the marker mark the line along which you want trim the edge.
- With the help of Scissors trim the edges along the line. Take care that the marker ink does not come within the cookie material.
Step 5: Making of the Cookie Cutter- Step 1
- Place the trimmed material on the figure. I started with the head.
- At the edge place the tweezers and at that point bend the material to the direction you need.
- With the help of the Tweezers or Pliers, just press at the bent portion to get the edge.
- Bend the edge till extent you want it to be bent.
Step 6: Follow the Pattern
- Similarly follow the pattern till you finish all the edges.
- At each edge use the tweezers to mark the position and bend it till the extent you want.
- At the end point bring them together with a strong adhesive (FeviKwik) that will make them to stay together.
- If for modeling with a play-dough then adhesives are enough.
- If using for cookie cutter purpose then for food safety you staple the ends together such that the staple will never reach the cookie dough.
Step 7: Prepare to Model With Homemade Play Dough
- I made the homemade version of Play Dough which is given in materials needed. It is simple and the texture is great. My nephew loves it.
- To give the colors of the Instructables robot I used the natural color dyeing method.
- To get the deep yellow I used Turmeric Powder. Turmeric has a very mild taste so again flavor was not affected. The only thing to be careful of when using turmeric is that it stains many surfaces so make sure you're wearing an apron.
- Take some turmeric powder and mix it with a small portion of the dough. Knead it well. Add more powder if you want to get the right yellow color of the Robot.
- To get the dark brown color I used Cocoa Powder and knead it till the brown desired color is obtained.
You can use any natural color dyes to get the color.
Yellow - Saffron, Golden beets, Carrot Powder.
Brown - instant coffee granules, pure espresso, heavily steeped black tea, cocoa powder, cinnamon.
Step 8: Instructables Robot Model
- Now, go ahead. Do some Play dough modeling based on the Robot Template.
- My nephew and I had a great time here making the eyes, Buttons, the Earphones, Legs and the simple details here and there.
- That’s it. Your Customized Instructable Robot is ready and so is the Play-Dough model with natural color dyes.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.