"That's no Moon!" The annual ornament pressure is on...this year the Things wanted a Death Star ornament.
I went for interior LED highlighting again this year, a) because I wanted the Death Star look inhabited, and b) because sometimes I just don't know when to stop.
Somewhere on the ornament I always write Thing name, a short message, and year of manufacture. I do it at the end, after all pics are taken so they can be added to their collection of one-of-a-kind ornaments. They are also named so there is no bickering over whose is whose or which is which, because boys will be boys and we like to keep the peace.Ingredients:
- 100mm Clear Acrylic ornaments (sourced from http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1302_1039-10569-100mm_clear_acrylic_fillable_ball_ornament.html) They are a nice heavy grade, and come in two halves that snap together which would also create the perfect Equator on the Death Star. They were $1.99 each.
- Drill press with hole cutter bit (there are probably more refined options out there, but go with what you have available)
- 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
- Rubbing Alcohol (to clean surfaces prior to painting)
- Epoxy putty (the other mans-best-friend)
- Lumps of clay (to keep the globes from rolling about during construction)
- Painters masking tape
- Xacto knife
- Straight Edge ruler
- Spray paint (I used Testors flat aircraft light and dark gray for models from Michaels), plus some darker flat gray primer I already had lying around)
- LED tealights/small flashlights to
take apart repurpose.
- Old phone cable (for harvesting thin black wire)
- Soldering iron, solder
- Additional supplies from Radioshack: White LEDs, small grommets, small electronics board with straight through holes, etc. Just don't get distracted by all the other shiny in there :)
Let's get started...