Introduction: DIY Fallout Bomb Prop
Runner Up in the
Halloween Props Contest 2015
In this awesome instructable I'll show you how I made a bomb/nuke prop from the video game Fallout.
- One large plastic easter egg
- One foam matt (only need about 10% of it)
- PVA (white glue)
- Hot glue and gun
- Super glue
- Eight flat head screws
- Grey primer spray paint
- Acrylic paint
- Enamel Paint
- Sandpaper (120 grit)
- Permanent marker pen (black & orange)
- Hand drill
Before you start I recommend watching the short video tutorial on how to make this for a better understanding. Making a Fallout Bomb Prop
Step 1: Making the Main Body
To start, super glue the two parts of the plastic egg together.
Next cut a 3 inch strip of the foam matt. Measure the circumference of the egg by wrapping the foam strip around and cutting to length. (see image)
Measure four equal steps and cut out. Connect end to end using hot glue. (see image)
Now measure four 3.5 x 1.5 inch foam matt. These will serve as the mounts. I found the best way to copy the shape of the egg is to hold just behind and follow line. (see image)
Once you have all the foam parts hot glue them all together.
Next mark out and drill eight equal holes around the egg. Screw in your flat head screws.
Step 2: Paint Prep
Using PVA glue paint the piece of foam matt . This is an important stage as it helps with spray paint and acrylic.
You will need about 3 layers of PVA, leaving each layer to dry before adding the next.
Also it's a good idea to rough up the that nice smooth easter egg using sandpaper, this also helps with the painting stage.
Once ready give the whole thing a coat of grey primer .
Step 3: Painting & Detail
Now for the best part, bringing it to life.
Using acrylic, paint the whole thing a military green. Dry brush a reddish brown in random areas (see image)
I use black enamel paint for the hard to reach corners, paint on and rub off, smudging it if you like. (see image)
Next I used yellow enamel for the stripe and triangle.
Using acrylic (metallic silver) I gave the whole thing a brushed metal look, this was done with a dry brush technique.
To finish I use black permanent marker pen for detail and orange for rust. (see last image)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.