Step 1: It's also quite expensive...
Step 2: Materials Listing
Now that we have that out of the way:
1. Your ceramics piece. DO NOT choose anything made of clay or glass. You want porcelain or ceramic pieces. Clay or glass won't break well, it will absolutely SHATTER. Save yourself some time and money and make sure you're choosing an appropriate piece.
2. 5 Minute Epoxy (I use Gorilla brand, but there are others that will work similarly).
3. An old pillow case.
4. A small art paint brush.
5. Liquid gold leaf (I used Martha Stewart's brand, which can be found at any craft store).
6. Protective gloves (not pictured).
7. Razor blade or box cutters (not pictured).
8. A disposable plastic container for the glue (not pictured, but you can use the plastic from the front of the glue package).
9. A popsicle or lollipop stick for spreading the glue (not pictured).