While looking for inspiration for my Wizard of Oz inspired Glinda crown, I came across many a photo of the more recent Glinda tiara from Oz the Great and Powerful. It looked pretty basic, so I thought I'd give it a go. Plus, one can never have too many tiaras.
Step 1: Materials
For this tiara you will need:
Thin cardboard or thick card stock
Pattern (download the PDF)
Gold metallic spray paint
Gold ribbon (optional)
You can get all the materials at a craft store and this will cost $5-$25 depending on the materials you have on hand. The whole project takes roughly 30 minutes to complete.
Step 2: Trace and Cut Crown Pieces
The pattern I shared has the number of each piece you'll need to cut. I ended up trimming the largest center piece by about 1/2 and inch so it wasn't as tall. To trace the pieces, I cut out one of each from regular paper, used painter's tape to secure it to the cardboard, then moved it and traced it as many more times as I needed to.
After all the pieces are traced, get to cutting!
Step 3: Crimp Pieces
I chose to cut the pieces out before I crimped them because I wanted all the crimps to be vertical, like on the original crown. It's also a lot easier to cut straight material rather than crimped material. I put each piece through the crimper twice to get the ridges nice and pronounce.
Step 4: Paint Pieces
I tacked each piece of the crown to a piece of cardboard with painters tape so I could spray paint and not worry about them moving around. I am VERY happy I did that as it made it easy to ensure I painted every exposed angle of the pieces.
Step 5: Prep Headband (optional)
I have a bunch of silver headbands I bought a long time ago, so I decided to use one of those for this project rather than buying a gold one. To make it blend in better with the tiara, I hot glued a piece of metallic gold ribbon along the outside of the headband.
Step 6: Assemble Crown
I can't really do a step by step of this part because you really just have to eye ball it. I pulled up a picture of the tiara on my phone and referred to it as I hot glued. I ended up needing to move some pieces, but it was really easy to peel the pieces off and reposition them.
My one suggestion is to remember to start from the back layer and glue from the bottom to the top so that the pieces overlap properly.
After my tiara was put together, I decided to spray paint the back so no one would ever know it used to be a macaroni box.
Then I attached the dangly forehead piece and the two rhinestones.
Step 7: ENJOY!
I can't think of anything clever to say since I didn't actually enjoy the move.