1. Festoon Bulb
2. Festoon Holder
3. 9v Battery
4. 9v Battery Holder w/ switch
5. (2) Wire Connectors
6. Velcro Tape (Hook)
7. Velcro (Loop)
Step 1: Make Your Cardboard Trapezoid Box
2. Place your Festoon Holder horizontally in the center of the square
3. Draw out two trapezoids from the edges of the Festoon Holder.
4. Now draw two more trapezoids above and below your Festoon Holder. These will serve as the sides of your trapezoid box.
5. Shade in the parts the you'll be cutting out and cut away. Have someone help you out with a pair of scissors for this step!
6. You should now have something that looks like this. The dotted rectangle is where you'll be folding but we'll get to that later--poke two holes on the sides and set down your cardboard for now.
Step 2: Making Your Lightbulb
2. Place your Festoon Bulb into the Festoon Holder.
3. Now take your two wire connectors and crimp them onto the two wires coming from your battery holder. Crimping can be dangerous so you may need an adult to help you with this step.
Step 3: Attaching Your Lightbulb Into Your Cardboard Box
2. Attach the wire connectors onto the terminals on your Festoon Holder and crimp them down. Slide back the wires so that the festoon holder lays flat on the carboard.
3. Now tape your cardboard trapezoid box together and test out your light!
Step 4: Make Your Headband
2. Next, cut about 6 inches of the Velcro tape (hook). Cut them into three 2inch pieces.
3. Place the first piece of Velcro Tape(sticky side) on one end of your 1inch Velcro loop. Place the second piece on your battery holder. Place the third piece on the back of your cardboard box.
3. Attach the Velcro tape (hook side) on your battery holder and cardboard box onto your strip of Velcro Loop.
Congrats, you've now made your own DIY Headlamp!
Come by the DIY Headquarters this Halloween. We'll be having a workshop at 6:00pm on Wednesday Oct. 31 where you can make your own headlamps for free!
3579 17th Street | San Francisco | CA | 94110