Picture of DIY Heat Gun Reflector
A heat gun reflector is a small metal piece that fits over the end of a heat gun. It can be very useful when using heat shrink tubing because it catches a lot of the hot air that would blow past or around the heat shrink and reflects to the opposite side of the tube. It can also serve as a shield to keep the heat from blowing at whatever is on your workbench.

My heat gun is supposed to put out 630º F on low and 1000º F on high, but most of this is wasted as it blows past the object I am trying to heat. With the reflector in place, I can shrink the heat tubing faster on the low setting then I could without it on the high setting, and I am saving energy!

I have seen these things sell anywhere from $5.00 to $50.00 depending on the quality and the store, but it is really just a piece of metal bent to fit the nozzle of a heat gun and can be easily made.

My design can be fit for any gun nozzle, and has an adjustable depth to accommodate various sized objects under the reflector.

Step 1: Tools and Materials

Picture of Tools and Materials
Piece of Sheet Metal - I used some scrap aluminum (12" x 1.5")
2 x Small Bolt, nut, & washer - I used 1 x 3/8" #6-40 Machine Screw and 1 x 1/2" #4-40 Machine Screw

Heat Gun - Why would you do this if don't have one?
Safety Glasses
Drill with various sized drill bits
Needle Nose Pliers
Measuring Tape or Ruler
Metal Cutter - Tin Snips, Dremel Tool, Strong Scissors, etc.

padbravo1 year ago
I´ll give it a try with my heat gun...

FoamboardRC2 years ago
Hey! I did the best with what I had! I used 1 Peace Tea can! The reflector part is easily removable.
Kurt E. Clothier (author)  FoamboardRC2 years ago
Awesome job! I notice a huge decrease in shrink time using mine - how does yours perform? Also, PLEASE remember to let the thing cool off before you even think about touching that piece to remove it.
Haha yes I let it cool! It works GREAT! thanks to you!
Kurt E. Clothier (author)  FoamboardRC2 years ago
Glad to hear it. Now go melt some stuff!
Excellent and so simple! I think in this context it would be a 'deflector'. Reflectors tend to focus energy to one point.......I could be wrong....
Thanks. And you may be right, but commercially, these devices are called reflectors - I think because the point is that they are "reflecting" a portion of the heat back towards whatever you are using it on instead of letting it blow past. I would think a deflector would be more of a shield to prevent any of the heat from actually hitting the object.

So maybe it serves as a reflector for the object being heated, and a deflector for the desk space!
Now this has intrigued me I had to look it up and this is what I found:
a device that deflects something, in particular:
• a plate or other attachment for deflecting a flow of air, water, heat, etc.
• an electrode in a cathode ray tube whose magnetic field is used to deflect a beam of electrons onto a phosphor screen to form an image.
and not to leave it out:
a piece of glass, metal, or other material for reflecting light in a required direction, e.g., a red one on the back of a motor vehicle or bicycle.
• an object or device that reflects radio waves, seismic vibrations, sound, or other waves.
• a reflecting telescope.

Your instructable is still excellent!
CrLz2 years ago
Nice collar fabrication! Thanks for sharing such a simple//elegant method. :)
Kurt E. Clothier (author)  CrLz2 years ago
Thank you.
noahw3 years ago
This is an awesome idea! It virtually eliminates the need for rotating wires when heat sealing! Very nice work - I think I'll actually make this for my heat gun next time I'm in the shop.
Kurt E. Clothier (author)  noahw3 years ago
I'm glad you like it! Of course, I can't take credit for the concept since it's a commercial product, but it's nice to be know how to make one yourself.