Introduction: DIY Ideas With Aluminium Foil
Aluminium Foil has many uses besides just wrapping up food. It is a wonderful material and versatile enough to be useful for many purposes. In this Instructable, i decided to share few unusual DIY ideas and uses with aluminium foil.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video is great tool that provides deep insight into the understanding of the procedure, however, it is also recommended to visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 2: Small Smoke Bomb
- Take a Ping pong ball and a stationary knife.
- Using the knife, make a hole in the ping pole as can be seen in the attached images.
- Insert a pen or a pencil inside the hole in the ping pong ball.
- Wrap the ball along with the pen in aluminium foil, such that the pen can be removed after wrapping the ball.
- Remove the pen or pencil from the wrapped ping pong ball as seen in the image.
- Heat the aluminium foil using a lighter until a sound can be heard from the ball and then through the ball.
- A large fumes of smoke will emerge for a short period of time.
Note: You can increase the quantity of smoke by filling the wrapped ping pong ball with small pieces of camphor or you can also cut a ping pong ball into tiny pieces of plastic and fill those pieces inside.
Step 3: Homemade Capacitive Stylus
An Aluminium foil can also be used to make a stylus pen for any touch enabled device. The stylus is very useful in writing text and drawing creative artworks on the screen.
To convert any normal pen into a stylus:
- Wrap the tip of the pen with aluminium foil.
- Using cellophane tape, secure the aluminium foil to the pen.
- Our pen can now be used as a stylus on any touch enabled device.
Note: Make sure to wrap the foil on the pen such that the foil touches the fingers of the user while holding the pen, otherwise the stylus might not work.
Step 4: Ignite Fire - Survival LifeHack
Aluminium foils have very low resistance and provide large surface area for conductance. The foil can be used to ignite fire easily using a high current battery. I have used Li-ion cells for the experiment, however, a car battery be easily used during emergency situations or camping trips.
- Take a piece of Aluminium foil and a tissue paper.
- Insert all the batteries in series in Li-ion Battery holder.
- Attach a wire terminal to the aluminium foil and secure it with cellophane tape or juts wrap the foil around it.
- When the other wire terminal is made to contact with the foil, sparks are generated due to high current.
- Place a tissue paper over the aluminium foil and then make contact of foil with the other wire.
- The tissue paper will catch fire instantly.
Note: You can also watch my video to make a Li-ion battery holder easily at home using few office paper clips.
Step 5: LifeHack : Using AAA Instead of AA
Many times, i had run into situations (mostly during project deadlines) when the battery gave up & i didn't have a AA battery for my PC mouse but had a AAA battery lying around. Both these batteries provide same voltage but with a difference in size and amount of charge.
However, a small piece of aluminium foil does come to my rescue and enable me to use a AAA battery in place of a AA. To use a AAA battery in place of AA just wrap a piece of aluminium foil at one of the terminals of AAA battery and insert it in the device. The device will work as good with a AAA battery as it used to do with a AA one.
These were the few DIY Ideas using the Aluminium foil. So, Friends this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and follow me to receive regular updates.