- 3/4" MDF(I had some extra pieces around 3 1/2" in width, but you could use any width that you think a child will be able to hold).
- 100 grit sand paper (to make the edges of the MDF less sharp)
- 60 git sand paper (glued on the blocks to make the noise)
- Varathane Interior Wood Finish (so that the paint will not come off in you need to lightly wash the blocks)
- Tempera Paint (powdered or pre mix)
- Contact Cement
- Small Paint Brush
- Circular Saw
Step 1: Cut Blocks and Sand Edges
I used a circular saw to cut the pieces to length and 100 grit sand paper to take off any sharp corners or edges; sanding for only 30-60 seconds per edge.
Step 2: Paint Each Pair of Blocks
Step 3: Apply 3 Coats of Wood Finish
Step 4: Cut Out Sand Paper and Cement to Blocks
Make that the edges stay flush to the blocks as some of the sand paper will tend to no stay glued to the block while drying.
That's it! Time to make some noise!