This instructable flows out of Rayeath's
very helpful nook cover instructable
with some (hopefully) helpful changes.
How to convert a hardback book into a Kindle cover with a strap:
What you will need:
1) A book you don't mind chopping up; this book must be at least 7.5" tall, 5" wide, and 1 cm thick (though a little thicker might be better)
2) Two sheets of craft felt which are larger than the books covers by approximately 2 inches on all sides
3) Hot glue gun & glue sticks
4) Up to 3' of 1/2" braided elastic
5) Stiff paperboard; Rayeath recommends a cereal box, I used the covers of an old composition notebook
7) X-acto knife
I spent less than $10 on this whole project, including the book, which I found for 99 cents at Goodwill. It took me about two hours, but this is my first attempt, as well as my first instructable, so a more competent crafter could move more quickly, I imagine.