So here is what I had made a month ago, to help my laptop.
All the stands here are made out of MDF, a kind of wood. Made them at a friend's woodworking shop.
You could make these of different materials, maybe thick cardboard or acrylic sheet or any other material which is at your disposal.
Items required :
- a small sheet of MDF [to build the pad]
- Band saw [to do the cutting]
- nails [to fix the joints well]
- glue [pour at the joints]
- DC Fan 12V [optional but highly recommended! :) ]
- USB cable [to connect the fan to the USB port of the laptop]
- Soldering iron
Important design tip :
Maximize open space while taking care of the required strength and convenience.
Step 1: Laptop Stand 1.0
Simple, neat,easy to make! :)
- Due to the open spaces, it allowes a lot of ventilation for the hot air.
- The attachments on the front end are just to not let the laptop slip forward.
- This is a non-foldable stand
- It is a little difficult to sneak this one into a backpack.
Step 2: Laptop Stand 1.1
- We added hinges on the side joints and in the center of the base to make a foldable pad.
- It can fit into a backpack quite easily!
- We also added a 12V DC fan for faster and better cooling.
- We drilled a few holes on the chassis for more air flow.
- The fan doesn't consume much current from the laptop so dont worry! :)
Step 3: Laptop Stand 1.2 [the Minimalist Design! :) ]
Additional materials required for this design :
- Thin metal rods
- Nuts and bolts
- Small wooden cyclindrical spacers [to push inverted bolts onto those and then put the spacers on the ends of the metal rods ]
- Super light weight.
- Super sleek
- When dis-assembled, takes very little space!
So if you too have a laptop which is in bad health, then get going and make one of these..
Happy D.I.Y.ing! :D