I bleached and toned my hair before starting. Then I used a crazy bright pink dye to achieve the ombre effect.
These are the materials I used:
- Hair Bleach (peroxide)
- Toner to make it less brassy
- Dye brush
- Squeeze bottle (you could use a mixing bowl or cup)
- Splat hair color in Pink Fetish (they also make blue, red, and purple) - this kit comes with bleach
- Plastic wrap
- Aluminum Foil
- Deep conditioner
Scoochmaroo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Step 1: Sectioning
- Section off the area of hair you want to change.
- Protect the rest of the hair from getting bleach or dye on it. In my case, we slathered deep conditioner on the hair we wanted to leave blonde, and then wrapped it all in plastic wrap!
Step 2: The First Layer
- Using a comb or the opposite end of the dye brush, section off a thin line of hair.
- Place foil underneath hair.
- Apply dye or bleach to entire length of this section of hair.
- Wrap in foil.
Step 3: Ombre Layers
- Repeat process, leaving more and more hair untreated as you move up, until you are just painting the tips.
- For a very subtle ombre, apply dye to tips of hair, rinse brush, and blend color further up hair towards roots
- Let dye or bleach process for recommended amount of time.
- Remove foils, but keep rest of hair protected as you rinse the product out.
- Condition well.
Step 4: Go Nuts!
Have fun and be sure to post your pictures if you try it out!