It is an oriental Japanese style lamp . And i'd like to use LEDs instead of other light bulbs , because its an economical solution and you can choose any color you like. Moreover , you can use RGB led driver to control a color changing lamp , which is easily found here.
Materials and Tools :
1. Wooden square bars - 2cmx2cm . Length : it' depended on your lamp's dimension . Mine is a 20cmx20cmx32cm so a length of 2m is enough for me.
2. Wooden round bars - 1cm diameter . Length : your lamp' s heigh multiplied by 4 (+ extra ) .
3.Wood hand saw and metal hand saw .
4. Wood glue, which can glue wood and paper too ,and Epoxy glue (AB glue)/ Wood putty.
6. Bench grinder/ Wood sander and Drill machine (6mm drill bit).
7. Flat black spray paint .
8. Translucent color paper .
9. Power LEDs and driver board : it should be a converter from AC220Vand wire connected with plug .
10. Some more things : 502 glue , wooden panels 4x4 (cm), electric glue tape ...
Or RGB LED smooth transition controller board (plz refer to database) . Or i recommend you this fade leds circuit (smooth transition of two colors ): http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page5.htm find "Fading Red Eye". But you'll need to amplify to drive power LEDs.
This following video i made to show off my artichoke lamp made of translucent paper . It's an example for using fade led circuit .
Besides showing everybody the original instructable in the end of the video , i had made an instruction , how i replace the material which the author recommends to use in original post with translucent paper. DIY Artichoke Lamp original instructable.
Another video about PWM leds .