This is my first Instructable.
The intension of this project was to build a small computer case to a computer car. Using a small touch screen monitor and applications as Multimedia(MP3, Video, Photos, etc), GPS, wireless networking, surveillance, SMS and e-mail reader, car diagnostic via ODBII, etc.
This requires a combination of components with low power consumption. This project requires only 130 Watts. And uses a DC-DC power supply connected to the car battery.
- A pair of acrylic paper tray as seen on image
- A small and low power consumption motherboard - I used a MSI 945GCM5 Socket LGA775 to Intel Processors. Small and cheap. You can use a Mini-ITX (Via EPIA) but this motherboard performance is a joke.
- A Pentium Celeron Processor. I used a Celeron 420 1.6Ghz. This processor is one of the best Celerons ever made and requires only 35 watts! This amazing processor is build with the Conroe-L core. The same used in the Core 2 Duo processors. In fact it's a core solo processor nice and cheap!
- Memory. I used 1Gb 800Mhz DDR2
- Hard Disk Drive. I used a common 80Gb IDE HDD. Optionally you can use a notebook HD or even flash memory(pendrives) as HD.
- A small wireless PCI or USB card
- A big can to make the cover of the computer case.
- Small computer fan for the case
- Power switch
- Hdd led
- Power led
- Internal speaker(optional)
- Fan grill
- Power connectors
- Screws, nuts, jigsaw, drills, knife, scissor, sandpaper, pliers, etc, etc, etc.
Step 1: Cutting the Tray
Now let's cut the tray.
I used these paper trays because the moderboard fit exactly inside. But you can use something else.
Cut both paper tray to fit motherboard. The motherboard will be fixed in bottom tray. Use screw and latches to this job(last image).