The best part about these hand warmers? They are easy to make, fun to use, and won't break your budget.
Step 1: Gather your Materials
- Scrap fabric for the hand warmers
- Scrap fabric for the personalized initial
- Sewing supplies: Thread, sewing machine (or needle and thread), Scissors, Pinking Shears (optional)
- Funnel (optional)
Step 2: Cut Your Fabric and Sew on the Applique
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric that are 3" x 6". In a contrasting fabric, cut out your desired initials
- Fold the 3" x 6" pieces with the wrong sides facing inwards. Press.
- Centre your initial on one side of the fold and sew using a straight stitch. I used a jersey fabric that doesn't fray. If you choose a fraying fabric, zig zag the initial onto the fabric.
Step 3: Put it together
- Sew around the perimeter of your square but leave a 1" opening. Reinforce your stitch at the opening. You're almost done!
Step 4: Fill it up
- Fill the square with rice using the opening. Use the funnel to make it easier or if you don't have a funnel, use a rolled up piece of paper. I used a little less than 3 tbsp of rice.
- Pin the opening and sew it shut. Back stitch over the opening to ensure it's extra strong.