Step 1: Parts needed
From the photography store:
1) One mounting stud - I bought a Manfrotto dual size (1/4 - 3/8) threaded mounting post.
From the hardware store:
1) One aluminum painter's extension pole with removable screw threading.
2) One 1/4-20 thread 3 1/2" carriage bolt - sized to fit the Manfrotto mounting post.
3) Two washers.
4) One nylon lock nut - to fit carriage bolt.
5) Threaded rod coupling nut - it must be able to fit snugly inside the extension pole and allow the carriage bolt to pass through.
6) Pop rivet