Introduction: DIY Ping Pong Ball Lights
In this instructable, you can learn how to make this cute and trendy decoration on your own for cheap. You will also learn the basic steps to using a drill press. Enjoy!! ?
Step 1: Prepping Your Tools and Materials
- 50 Ping Pong Balls
- Christmas Lights (the same amount or lights as the amount of ping pong balls you're using. In my case 50 Lights)
- Hand Clamp
- Drill Press
- (Irwin) Drill Bits
- Duck Bill Pliers
Prepping the Drill Press :
- First, loosen the chuck of the drill press with the small key located on the side of the machine.
- If there is a drill bit in the machine already, take it out and hold in the one you want to use. Insert the key into the chuck again and turn it clockwise to tighten the chuck again.
- Using the switches on the front of the machine, turn on the light and laser.
- If you want to adjust the plate, loosen the handle on the back of the machine, and use the knob on the right side of the machine to adjust the height. Turn the first handle the opposite direction to secure the plate again.
Step 2: Drilling the Holes
*When using the drill press make sure that all hair, dangling jewelry, and clothing are out of the way. Also be sure to wear proper eye and ear protection (goggles and ear muffs)*
- Using your small drill bit and hand clamp, place the ping pong balls label facing up under the drill bit. Turn it on with the large yellow and red switch on the front of the machine. This hole is going to be the pilot hole.
- Once the machine is on lower the drill bit with the large crank on the side until it punctures the ball. Then slowly release the crank until it has been released. Place the balls into another box.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all the balls have a pilot hole.
- Follow the steps to change the drill bit from the first step to switch out the small drill bit for the medium sized one.
- Repeat the steps 1, 2, and 3 with the medium sized drill bit and all of the ping pong balls.
Step 3: Cutting the Slits
- Using the duckbill pliers cut small slits next to the hole you drilled (slits shown in the picture)
Step 4: Attaching the Balls to the Lights
- For this step, you simply need to hold the top of the light and push it through the hole you created.
- If the ball bends try to cut your slits a little larger.
- To reshape the dent, insert the light into the ball and then gently pull the wires until the dent is gone.
Step 5: Congrats!!
You have now successfully created these awesome lights!! Hope you enjoyed this instructable!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.