I have 2 set of coasters but they are small in size for most of the flat bottom vessels I own. So I thought I need an another pair of coasters which are big enough to protect the dining table from the hot dishes. Today I am going to show a simple method to make your own coasters out of popsicle sticks and also 2 ways to spruce them up.
Step 1: Materials Used
- Popsicle sticks
- Wood burning tool and different points/tips (Optional)
- White paint and paint pens(Optional)
- Clear Varnish
Arrange the popsicle sticks one after the other as shown. I used eight big popsicle sticks for one coaster and two sticks at the back to secure.
Cut the rounded edges of the popsicle sticks using scissors. Apply a line of E6000 glue and secure the sticks. I used two sticks one on each side.You can also use one more in the center and allows an additional stick on each side for added height if desired. Allow it to dry.
Step 3: For Wood Burning
- Use the shading point to create flower-like shapes on the coasters. I like to call them as leaf point as it looks like that. So, first use the leaf point and create/burn a flower with four petals facing all the four directions then fill each gap between with another four petals to create a flower shape.
- Use the Texture n Tone point to create diamond print coasters. I like to call them as the diamond point as the outer shape looks like it. I used this tip in sideways for one stick and repeated the design and used them in straight ways for the second stick and repeated the same. I used another popsicle stick in the middle at the back while burning the design to give some evenness and stability when pressing the tip to burn. Your coasters are now ready to use.
If you are using the universal point, here are some design ideas to try.
- For Butterfly design, press the point in an angle towards the left to create a left wing and towards the right to create a right wing. Use the point straight upwards to create two antenna.
- For a dandelion, use the tip straight upward and keep burning the lines all around to create a circle. Use the tip of the point to create a dots.
- For chevron and triangle , just turn the direction of the burning to the left and right accordingly to create a chevron or triangle.
Use a white acrylic paint to make the coasters white.Allow it to dry. Use paint pens to create your own designs. As mandalas are in trend right now, I just drew my own mandala design using the paint pen. Why paint pens? you may ask. It gives a nice opaque look to the design compared to using a normal sharpie marker.Seal the coasters with clear varnish to protect the design. Allow it to dry and your coasters are ready to use.
Hope you like this easy to do coasters. I have the special technique point II set from Walnut Hollow which has all of these tips and helps in creating a lot of designs for various projects like bracelets, ornaments, wood sign, etc.
There are lots of creative ways to customize these coasters. I am sure you will try these techniques in your own creative way.
Share what you think about these coasters in the comment below. As always I will be happy to hear from you.If you like this instructable, Please vote for me in the "wood contest" and "Summer Fun Contest".
For more DIYs like this, visit www.vikalpah.com