The treadmill motor had a pulley/flywheel in place. The pulley had several grooves in it to accept a serpentine type belt. Serpentine belts are more expensive and harder to come by than a traditional v-belt. I also did not want the flywheel portion of the pulley either, I wanted the pottery wheel to stop when the power is turned off, the flywheel would have allowed the wheel to continue spinning after powering down. The pulley was threaded onto the motor shaft with a left handed thread. I was able to hold the motor shaft with a pair of vise-grip pliers and spin the pulley off by hand, turning the pulley clockwise ( righty is not tighty in this situation). I used and electric angle grinder to cut the threaded portion of the motor shaft, ( a hacksaw could have been used instead). The remaining motor shaft was just over 5/8" in diameter. I purchased a 1 1/2" diameter v-belt pulley from my local tractor supply store for $9. It came with a 5/8" hole in it. I had to bore out the hole slightly larger to slide onto motor shaft properly. A set screw included with the pulley secured it to the shaft.