Being a pet owner and lover I like to give my pets as much freedom as possible. I have been looking for a backpack pet carrier that I can strap on my back and go for a bike ride to bring my pets with me to the park. The problem? Most pet carriers are for dogs or cats, they have a large hole for the animal to poke their head out of, they are NOT a backpack, or the netting made to keep air flowing is made from a mesh material that my pets can chew threw. How, you say? I have pet rats.
I needed a sturdy material that would not collapse on top of them, but I also didn't want to make the carrier from scratch. I knew I had to have some things around the house.
1. You can use ANY purse/backpack in ANY SIZE that is sturdy enough to hold itself up. I simply used this because I already had it at home though I plan to make a larger one.
2. This item is meant to be NO SEW. You have the option to use a large industrial needle and thread where I instead drilled holes and used twisty ties. I wanted to create this animal friendly as small animals can ingest thread and get sick/die from it. I also wanted it to be something anyone could make and shorten the time down by using twisty ties (which it does a lot!).
Step 1: Step 1: Gathering Materials
1. A sturdy purse/backback.
2. Chicken wire, galvanized wire, mesh wire (whatever is suitable for you pet)
3. Wire cutters.
7. A drill (I did not use one to make the holes, but I suggest you do! Using scissors worked, but I ended up cutting my finger.) :(
10. Backpack straps. (Skip if you are using a backpack.)
I found all of these items around my house. You may not have all of these things, but you should be able to find an old purse/backpack at a thrift store or maybe from a friend. You can use old clothing for the material; just cut it up. The backpack straps can be cut off an old backpack found at home or at thrift shop.